Wednesday 27 February 2013

New eye pieces.

Shortly after purchasing the Celestron FirstScope I decided (upon recommendations from the internet) to get some new eye pieces.

After much searching I came across http://www.astronomy.co.nz/. So far this website has the lowest/most reasonable prices I have been able to find in New Zealand.
It turns out the website is run by the treasurer of the Auckland Astronomical Society so I felt very confident in the quality of the products I was getting.

I ended up getting myself a new 9mm Plossl eye piece and a 2x Barlow Lens.

4mm Plossl.

2x Barlow.
The first thing I noticed after getting these new lenses was the difference in quality. Things seemed sharper with much more contrast.

The 9mm is a good size for the Celestron FirstScope, giving a decent 55.5x magnification and a nice FoV. Add into that the barlow lens (111.1x magnification) and observing the moon or Jupiter is pretty good with it as well.

My next purchase (from the same shop) was a 32mm Camera Projection Lens (15.6x magnification).

32mm Camera Projection Lens.

This is my goto star hopping lens. I don't even bother with my finder scope anymore. I just pop this lens in and track down my target, then depending on what I'm looking at I'll pop in the barlow lens to give myself 31.2x magnification or I'll switch to the 9mm.

The cool thing about this lens is I can attach a DLSR to it using a T2 adaptor and I'll be able to take some pretty cool photos.

These new eye pieces are pretty much my goto lenses now and I hardly bother with the ones that came with the telescope.
The beauty is that when I eventually upgrade my telescope to something much more powerful I'll be able to use these same lenses in it.

I'm not sure I'll buy any more eye pieces for now as I'm probably better off saving for a new telescope (no point in spending hundreds of dollars on eye pieces when all I have is a small beginners telescope) but I do have my eye on a Superview 15mm eye piece. It will give me 33.3x and 66.6x magnification with a massive FoV. I have a feeling I will cave and pick one up (its only $50) and that will be my last eye piece before trying to decide on what new telescope to purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment