Tuesday 26 February 2013

Jupiter through a webcam.

In my attempt to learn more about astrophotography on the cheap I discovered that a webcam can be used as a decent camera for imaging.
The Microsoft Life Cam Cinema 720p was the recommended camera so that's the one I went for.

I spent about $70 on this from PBTech and proceeded to follow these instructions to modify it for use in my telescope.

I had never modified anything like this before but found the instructions easy to follow and in about 30 minutes and after a few tweaks, I had a camera that fit nicely into my Celestron FirstScope.
I ended up using an old film canister with some masking tape wrapped around the top for housing the camera as I didn't have any eyepiece barrel extenders but it has worked with out any issue, so if you're looking to save a few more dollars thats something to think about.

Jupiter was my first target and after spending AGES trying to find it I managed to grab a few videos and the following image was the result.

Jupiter.

I'm really pleased with the result. I know its not an amazing photo but considering I spent less than $200 to capture it I think its pretty impressive.
It goes to show with a little perseverance, know how and a bunch of luck you can capture some pretty fulfilling images without having to spend thousands (although in saying that, spending thousands of dollars will get you much more impressive images).

I'm quite interested in seeing what else I can capture using this set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment